Monday 1 February 2010

Mission Statement!

Hello gentle readers. I would like to take this opportunity to introduce to you my new-fangled "mission statement." There are only a couple (or, on completing this, four) rules I'm trying to follow, and I'll try to make them brief.

  1. The music I review, reflect on, or dwell on must be mostly (but not completely - the rules are flexible) driven by electronic inflections. IE: In the world of New Wave, Thompson Twins would cut the mustard; Men At Work would not. You will not see Men At Work on this site.
  2. There will not be articles about raves. In fact, after much thought, I've decided to cut the genres of rave, house, trance, and banging techno loose from this site, as they'll probably just end up muddying up the waters. It's not that I don't appreciate the music, but shit, if I ended up writing about ALL electronic music, I'd probably sprain something. That being said, though - an album that has house-y traits will be given thought here. An example of this would be Crystal Method.
  3. Certain artists will do something that might qualify, even though other works by said artist won't make the cut. IE: David Bowie. Now, Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars won't make it on these pages, for instance, but something along the lines of the Brian Eno-produced Low certainly might. Same goes for the new Editors album (In This Light And On This Evening), as compared to their debut The Back Room. While I'm at it, I'll say that New Order will make it, as opposed to their previous incarnation Joy Division (RIP, Ian Curtis).
  4. A good friend Trent said earlier today (and I like what he said), "It's shit made for the LPs, and that might be danceable, as opposed to stuff made with the sole aim of being danced to."
And that pretty much describes how it is going to be here. Things might change; they might not. It's fluid. All I know for sure is that I'd really like to spread the gospel of electronic music. You may like it, you may not; what it boils down to is I'd like to share with you the music that brightens my life, and - who knows? - might just brighten yours. There's some great stuff out there that you may or may not have heard of ... and I'd like to take the opportunity to let you know about it!

Cheers!


No comments: