Tuesday 16 February 2010

Electro Classic Jukebox: A Flock Of Seagulls.


You know, there are certain moments when one is young, and a song will come right out and go through you. It speaks volumes about where you've been, who you are, and what you make about the world in which you live. "Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You)" is one of those songs; at least for me. I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but there's just a certain emotive energy at work here in this track that, for lack of a better word, speaks to me. It's not as if A Flock Of Seagulls is one of my favorite bands, either -- frankly, I've managed to intentionally ignore most of their output, and at the same time not really fret about what I may be missing, but -- this song! It's nearly perfect. Mike Score's voice does a brilliant job of conveying a sense of longing, and the music is just top-notch. I love the buzzing guitars, the special effects layered over Ali's (Mike's brother) drumming, and the noodling and quite catchy synths. And what can I say about the video, except that I'm a sucker for science fiction imagery, especially the interior of spaceships! And can we all agree that that was one hell of a haircut? From Liverpool, UK, here's A Flock Of Seagulls with their 1982 single "Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You)." Enjoy!

No comments: